While on my recent trip to Perth, the inevitable happened… I smashed my laptop screen! The evolving nature of gadgets such as laptops, desktops, tablets makes it difficult for users like myself to keep them intact!
Handling or Working on a laptop is far more convenient than handling or working on a desktop however the very mobile nature of laptop makes it very much vulnerable to damage especially the laptop screen.
The Laptop screen is the most fragile and delicate part. A broken screen or malfunctioning screen are the most common problems that users encounter was told by my local laptop repair specialist in Perth. Apparently these problems mostly happens because of:
- Bumped or dropped off or banged against something
- Quickly closing the lid with force
- Placing some heavy object on top of the lid
- Poor handling (Yup that’s me!)
The 3 most important components of laptop screen repair are: backlight, display and the inverter board.
In such situations, users generally have two choices. Either to buy a new device or get the old one repaired by replacing a laptop screen. The cost of replacing a laptop screen is only a fraction of the cost of a new laptop. At times, it is not even required to replace the screen fully, only minor repairs can make it function and you may not require a full screen replacement.
If your device is under a warranty and if the reason for the damage is covered under warranty (accidental damage are mostly not covered under warranty), it is recommended to send it to the service centre and get it done for free however in this case you might need to wait for quite some time say around one to two weeks. If it is not under a warranty or the damage reason is not covered warranty, it is strictly recommended to get it done by professionals. Only a professional will be able to tell you the exact root cause of the problem and will be able to repair it.
Most users try to fix the screen by themselves with the help of some online tutorials however it is not at all recommended. The reason being that the laptop screen is very delicate and it contains many small fragile parts; also it is very difficult to remove laptop screen and needs to be handled with a lot of care. Replacing a laptop screen is a far trickier than a desktop repair and if you commit any mistake, you could end up damaging it beyond repair.
Replacing a laptop screen can be done at a lost cost and it is easy to install however if we take following few safety measures while handing the laptop screen; our screens will remain as good as a new screen and it will also save our money and precious time.
1) Always hold your device from the base and not by the screen
2) Ensure that nothing is on the keyboard while closing the screen.
3) Do not keep any food items (especially liquids) near the device.
4) Keep your laptop away from excessive hot or cold temperatures or dynamic temperature changing environment.
5) Always close the laptop lid gently and avoid pointing or touching the screen as it can break electrical connections.
6) As far as possible, please keep your laptop on a clean and flat place.
7) Get your device internally cleaned once in 6 months by a professional and always use screen cleaner as advised by the professionals.
8) Do not place any heavy object or apply pressure on top of the laptop lid.
9) Always use correct-sized laptop bag when carrying your laptop outside the house. It will prevent against scratches and other such damages.
10) Get an antivirus software program installed on your laptop prior to its use.